The key to ensure that our future generation gets to see the world that we enjoy currently, it is very necessary to take steps in adopting a sustainable lifestyle. Easier than done, sustainable living is making the best possible use of the available resources in ways like reducing their usage of products and replacing products that are polluting and harm Mother earth in any way possible. Due to increasing pollution, deforestation we are experiencing climate change, resources are
depleting, the ozone layer is depleting, and it is having a significant impact on our lives. It is very necessary to start taking care of Mother Earth for our future generation, which would not be able to see it otherwise. The Amazon Forest fires were a great calling for us humans to start taking care of Mother Earth, and adopt a sustainable lifestyle and avoid anything that we possibly can to not pollute our surrounding!
As quoted by Pete Seeger, “If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled, or composted, then it should be restricted, designed or removed from production”, this is what is called sustainable living. The steps may sound very small, but if done on a regular basis it will go a long way in reducing the environmental impact and making Earth a safe and clean place. For example, carpooling, using public transport and cycling reduce the energy consumption, which means less pollution, and is a very good start to adopt a sustainable lifestyle.
If not started already, start right away. Here are a few measures that I think is a good start for beginners. The steps are very simple and can be easily inculcated by each one of you. Here are the few steps that can help you start:
- Start to practice the concept of Minimalism. This for example means, do not hoard a lot of items that are not doing you any good. Have few clothes but recycle them. Do not store and support the production of products that are doing you no good.
- Dim lights instead of bright lights. As simple as it sounds, it helps in reducing the amount of waste going into landfills. The main benefit is long-lasting, and it also saves energy.
- Avoid going to supermarkets, groceries and departmental stores now and then, rather list all the items you plan on purchasing and buy it at once or on two days as planned. This not only helps to buy a few items but also saves energy by less usage of vehicles.
- 3RS. Yes Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
- Spend time on your hobbies like reading, dancing, singing, playing sports. You might be wondering how it is helping mother earth; it helps because we don’t waste any energy while performing them, and it helps to conserve resources. Yes it is as simple as that.
- Sleep on time and early if possible. You will save energy by switching off lights.
- A Strict no to plastic.
These are only a few steps; there is so much we can do without even putting in a lot of effort. It is a rising concern, and it is necessary to take steps before it gets too late. Sustainable lifestyle is therefore of high importance in today’s world.